SUBMITTED BY PGMCINTOSH ON FRI, 02/11/2012 - 12:07
The SDRN and the Scottish Primary Care Research Network (SPCRN) are running a joint initiative to increase capacity for diabetes research in primary care. This will involve Diabetes Specialist Research Nurses working in GP practices to run studies and will:
- Give patients more opportunities to participate in research.
- Allow practices to be involved in research with little call on existing resources
- Enhance capacity (will complement research in secondary care).
- Give access to different patient populations.
- Provide income stream (and incentive) for GPs and community pharmacists to become involved in clinical research.
The initiative will concentrate on running commercial studies in the initial phase hosted in selected practices in NHS Fife, Lothian and Tayside with a rollout programme for all Health Boards if successful.